Friday, October 3, 2008

Reversible Pinafores

A friend's daughter was wearing one of these adorable tops at preschool yesterday, and I fell in love with it! We've had this style of top before, but always with short bloomers in the summer. I'd never thought of layering it over a long sleeved tee and jeans. So precious! She got hers from lassiegirl, a seller on etsy-- an online marketplace for "all things handmade." I looked around a little more on etsy and managed to find this pattern.
Georgia Grace Designs promised quick delivery of a PDF file filled with pictures and tips, and that even a novice seamstress (I use the word "seamstress" very lightly!) could finish a top in about an hour. So I bought the pattern this morning, headed to the fabric store and set out to make a top while my 4 and a half year old is sleeping off last night's sleepover. An hour and a half later, she's still sleeping and I'm finished! Below are a few pictures of the red floral one I just finished. It's a little hard to photograph on my dining room table, but my model just woke up and is pretty uncooperative. The front...
The back...
A close up of the cross-over in the back and a peek at the reverse...
Lassie girl charges $24 for hers, which I consider to be a good deal considering the top uses almost 2 yards of fabric. Monogramming hers would ruin the reversibility (is that a word?), but if you use Georgia Grace's pattern, I could monogram each piece before you put it together. Of course, I love the large graphic prints on this top, so decided not to monogram it at all. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: