Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer Recess

While it’s not a very common term in most of the country, I’m sure my fellow Washingtonians are familiar with the concept of a summer recess. In August when it becomes oppressively hot in Washington, Congress (and many others) take a summer recess and get out of town in search of some place cooler. I used to get so bored in August… It took a while, but after living here for ten years, I’ve adopted the “If you can’t beat them, join them” philosphy. monograma We have scheduled our family week at the beach for August. As it turns out, though, my grandmother has planned a family reunion for late August as well, and if we’re making the trek to the midwest, we’ll want to stay there a while, too. And so, I’ve decided that I’m taking a summer recess, too. I won’t be doing any monogramming in August—I’ll use that time to concentrate on my family and getting in those last precious moments with my eldest before sending her off to kindergarten. And when Labor Day is over and school’s back in session, I’ll be back at my machine, ready to monogram away.

Of course every rule has an exception. If there’s a baby that’s due in August and you’re wanting a baby gift, let me know sometime in July. We can plan the gift and then when the baby is born and you get me the name, I’ll get to work on it. Provided I’m at home...

This does mean that you’ll need to think a little earlier about things like birthdays and back to school. I’ll be working on a post on backpacks and lunch boxes in the next day or two, so stay tuned! Enjoy your summer day!

No comments: