Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Buying a Sewing Machine

I'm not a seamstress. I monogram things-- lots of things-- and sew just a little. Still, friends frequently ask me about tips for buying a sewing machine. I can't offer a lot of specifics, but will still do my best to help you out. But in the past few weeks, I've learned something very important about buying a sewing machine. I'm all for finding a great deal, but I'm convinced that you should buy your sewing machine for the relationship. I found a great deal on my machine online, with free shipping (love that!), but instead, I went to Fairfax Sewing Center, which is definitely a little bit of a drive for me. I got the same machine, and they gave me a good deal, too. But the best part of the deal is Tony. He's in the store as long as the doors are open, and he knows how to fix anything. He can usually help me with my problems over the phone, but in the past few weeks has fixed the machine while I wait, which is almost unheard of. Even more complicated fixes don't require more than a day or two after parts arrive-- a big contrast to most stores who send machines elsewhere to be serviced, so you're lucky to have your machine back in a week. And if you already have a machine, never fear, Tony can probably fix it, too. The other day when I was there, someone was dropping off a Bernina that looked as old as me for servicing. So if you're in the market for a machine, or just looking to have yours serviced (which you should do every year, regardless of how much you use it), I'd suggest heading out 66 to Fairfax and looking up Tony.

No comments: